Recertification Requirements for NABCEP Board Certified Installers
Please download the NABCEP Certification Handbook for recertification requirements.
*See new recertification requirements below
Applying for Recertification
Certificants may submit their Recertification Application during the third (3rd) year of their current certification. Certificants are required to log in to their account to complete and submit a recertification application electronically for review.
Follow these steps to recertify:
- Log in to your myNABCEP account.
- Under Credentialing in your account, click on the corresponding certification workflow.
- Complete the Recertification Code of Ethics and Fee phase. (The Code of Ethics and recertification fee is required before Certificants may enter recertification requirements.)
- Complete the Recertification Requirements phase and steps.
- Upload required documentation and submit for review.
Use the NABCEP Course Catalog to find courses to satisfy NABCEP’s requirements for Recertification.
Recertification Requirements for PVIP, PVCMS, PVDS, PVIS & SHI
NABCEP’s recertification requirements for the PV Installation Professional, PV Commissioning & Maintenance Specialist, PV Design Specialist, PV Installer Specialist, and Solar Heating Installer changed on January 1, 2019 to align with changes in the industry. The “old” requirements option is no longer available. The Certification Handbook is not currently up-to-date with these new requirements (a new version will be available soon). For the previously mentioned board certifications, please use the requirements listed below.
The PV Technical Sales and System Inspectors recertification requirements, as well as Associate renewal requirements, are not changing at this time. The recertification/renewal requirements listed in the Certification Handbook and Associate Handbook are correct.
30 Continuing Education Units
Continuing Education requirements for the Board Certifications listed above is 30 hours. For a breakdown of the new CEU requirements for each of NABCEP’s board certifications, click here.
NABCEP Board Certified Professionals are required to submit a letter on letterhead, signed by an employer stating the applicant is still actively involved in the renewable energy industry and describing the industry activity of the applicant.
- Industry activity must meet one (1) of the minimum requirements as described below.
- Alternative activities may be submitted for review and acceptance by NABCEP.
- The letter must include specific details as described below.
Minimum Industry Involvement Requirements
- The applicant had a decision-making role in the installation(s) of at least 3 completed installs within the applicant’s three (3) year certification period.
- Teacher/trainer/instructor who teaches at least 120 hours of an advanced PV* course(s) or a registered NABCEP PV Associate course within the applicant’s three (3) year certification period.
- Leadership role for at least one (1) year in a business or organization that trains students, customers, or clientele to design, install, commission, maintain, inspect or carry out other activities in the PV* market within the applicant’s three (3) year certification period.
- Leadership role for at least one (1) year in a business that designs, installs, sells, commissions, maintains, inspects, or finances PV* systems or manufactures solar industry equipment within the applicant’s three (3) year certification period.
- Leadership role relating to PV* within the renewable energy industry for at least 36 hours within the applicant’s three (3) year certification period (e.g. committee or board member in a renewable energy association or company).
PV* to be replaced by Solar Heating for SHI & SHSI recertifications.