NABCEP Board Certification should be viewed as a dynamic and ongoing process. Those who become NABCEP Board Certified should strive to update and refresh their knowledge and skills related to renewable energy systems.
Recertification provides for continued competence through a learning process that enhances the Board Certified Professional’s knowledge, skills, and abilities in the fields of renewable and sustainable energy systems. Recertification assures the public, employers, and practitioners that NABCEP Board Certified Professionals remain committed to continued training and education, and adherence to the NABCEP Code of Ethics.
To maintain certification, NABCEP Board Certified Professionals must obtain continuing education credits or units (CEUs) in specific renewable energy and business-related areas within three years of initial certification:
- CEUs related to applicable Code
- CEUs related to the corresponding NABCEP Job Task Analysis
- CEUs related to PV, Solar Heating, or renewable energy
Details can be found in section 19 of the NABCEP Certification Handbook. Educators and others who provide training and education in these areas should become familiar with these guidelines.
Recertification Requirements for NABCEP Board Certified Installers
Please download the NABCEP Certification Handbook for recertification requirements.
- PV Installation Professional (PVIP): Section 3.7 and Section 19*
- PV Design Specialist (PVDS): Section 4.7 and Section 19*
- PV Installer Specialist (PVIS): Section 5.9 and Section 19*
- PV Commissioning & Maintenance Specialist (PVCMS): Section 6.10 and Section 19*
- PV Technical Sales Professional (PVTS): Section 7.8 and Section 19
- PV System Inspector (PVSI): Section 8.3 and Section 19
- Solar Heating System Inspector (SHSI): Section 9.3 and Section 19
- Solar Heating Installer (SHI): Section 10.7 and Section 19*
- Small Wind Installer (SWI): Section 11 and Section 19.10
*See new recertification requirements below
Applying for Recertification
Certificants may submit their Recertification Application during the third (3rd) year of their current certification. Certificants are required to log in to their account to complete and submit a recertification application electronically for review.
Follow these steps to recertify:
- Log in to your myNABCEP account at my.nabcep.org.
- Click on the corresponding certification link in the gray box on the right-hand side of the screen that says “Recertification/Renewals.” (Do not click under “Existing Application”).
- Complete each tab in the application and upload required documentation.
- Once complete, click the green Submit button and pay the recertification fee.
Use the NABCEP Course Catalog to find courses to satisfy NABCEP’s requirements for Recertification.