How do I apply for the NABCEP Certification Exams?
1. Certification applicants should read the NABCEP Certification Handbook before starting an application.
2. All applicants for NABCEP certification must complete an application with all required documentation, pay an application fee of $125, and submit the application for review. NABCEP accepts applications on an ongoing basis, but in order to qualify to sit for any particular exam date, applications must be completed, paid for, and submitted prior to the Application Deadline for that exam. Please see the links at the bottom of the page to start or log into an existing application. Applications may be saved and returned to at any time during the process of completing.
3. For all applications, one must choose a Qualifying Category (as defined in the NABCEP Certification Handbook) that best fits his or her personal background, experience, and training. Candidates must be able to satisfy ALL of the requirements for ONE of the categories.
4. Applications are reviewed by NABCEP in the order that they are received. Applications that are submitted just prior to the application deadline may take longer to receive a response due to the large number of applications that are typically submitted at this time. Applications that are submitted between an application deadline and an examination date may not be reviewed until after the results of the examination have been processed. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application as far in advance of the application deadline as possible.
5. Upon initial review of the application, the applicant will be contacted by NABCEP via email either informing them that the eligibility requirements have been met and they have been accepted as a candidate, or that the application is incomplete and that additional documentation must be submitted. Applicants who submit incomplete applications will be provided with one opportunity to complete the application and resubmit it for a second review. If an application is deemed to be incomplete after a second review by NABCEP, it will be rejected and the individual will need to reapply and pay another application fee to be reconsidered. Please note that if an application is not complete by the application deadline for a particular exam, the applicant may not be accepted for that exam and the second review of the application may be postponed until after the examination date.
6. Applicants who are accepted as candidates will be sent instructions via email for how to choose an exam location and pay for the next certification exam. Exam scheduling and payment must be received by the Scheduling Deadline Date for a particular examination.
How do I start an application?
For PV Installation Professional, PV Technical Sales Professional, and Solar Heating Installer certifications, you can start a new application here.
How do I return to an application I already started?
If you have previously started a PV Installation Professional, PV Technical Sales, or Solar Heating Installer application in myNABCEP, click here to return to the application.
Can I start a paper application?
Applications may be submitted in paper form; however, due to the added administrative costs involved, NABCEP charges an additional $50 to review a paper application. Paper applications for each certification program may be requested by e-mailing the Program Manager, Kathryn Casey, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder: Having a valid OSHA 10 Hour Construction Card is a mandatory requirement. Click Here to Find an OSHA 10 Hour In-Person or Online Class Near You.
Online Application Fee: $125
Paper Application Fee: $175
First-time Exam Fee: $375
Re-exam Fee: $275